- Visit your Google 2-step verification page
- Click "Get Started"
- You will be asked to setup the Google prompt on your phone. If you're on Android, your phone already supports this. If you are on an iPhone or iPad, you will need the Google App to take advantage of this.
If you'd like to use the Google prompt, click Try it Now. If you'd prefer to get a text message, click Don't use prompt
- After you've chosen an option follow the on screen instructions to setup 2 step verification
- Once configured you may be prompted to trust the computer you're on for 30 days. Feel free to approve this if it's your personal computer and not a shared computer
- Click Next then click Confirm
Your 2 step verification is now setup.
Also see Generate 2-step verification backup codes and Setting up application specific passwords in order to maintain account access in the event you lose your phone and to also generate device passwords so you can configure devices such as your iPhone and iPad and mail clients such as Outlook.