Enabling Canned Responses:
1. Go to the "Gear" icon in the upper right hand corner of the Gmail screen
2. Select "Settings", then select "Labs" near the center of the page under the search bar
3. In the Search field type "Canned Responses" and click the "Enable" button
Creating a new Canned Response
1. Go to "Compose" on the left hand side of the screen
2. Start by inserting your message in the body of the email
3. Next, select "Canned responses" then "New Canned Response"
4. Insert a name for your response so that we can reference it later
5. Discard the message by pressing the "Discard" button near the top of the page
Note: Saving a New Canned response will save everything in the body of the email, including the signature, so be sure to clear your signature out before saving
Using Canned Responses to auto respond to emails
Symptom: I've recently terminated an employee, and I'd like all emails sent to their address to get an automatic response notifying the sender of his leaving.
1. Move your mouse over the search bar at the top of the screen and click on the small arrow to the right. It should say "Show search options" in a small window
2. Now in the "To" field, type the email address of the terminated employee
3. Click "Create a filter with this search>>"
4. Select "Send canned response:" and click the drop down menu next to it, and you should see the response that you named in step 4 of the previous paragraph
5. Then click "Create filter"