Note: You will not be able to set up POP with the instructions below. The expected outcome of this is for IMAP styled push email with the ability to sync Contacts and Calendars. Click Here for how to set up iPhone/iPad with POP settings
These first instructions will guide you through setting up your account as an Exchange account. In the event this method does not work, please scroll down to the Google account setup section.
Exchange account method:
- Open the Settings application on your device's home screen
- Open Mail, Contacts, Calendars
- Press Add Account...
- Select Microsoft Exchange. iOS 4.0+ allows multiple Exchange accounts. However, if you're on a device that doesn't let you add a second account, you could also useCalDAV to sync Google Calendar andIMAP to sync Gmail
Enter Account Info
- In the Email field, enter your full Google Account email address followed by the password for your account and tap next
- If you use an @yourdomain.com address, you may see an "Unable to verify certificate" warning when you proceed to the next step
- Enter your full Google Account email address as the Username
- Enter your Google Account password as the Password
Notes about passwords:
Be sure that you have a strong password for your Google Account.
If you see an error message saying "Invalid Password", you may need to unlock your account by solving a short CAPTCHA. Go to https://www.google.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha.
If you are a 2-step verification user, please use an application-specific password instead of your regular password in this field.
- Tap Next at the top of your screen
- Choose Cancel if the Unable to Verify Certificate dialog appears
- When the new Server field appears, enter m.google.com
- Leave the Domain field blank
- Press Next at the top of your screen again
- All services are set to sync by default. Tap the sliders to turn off any services you do not want to sync to your phone
- Tap Save and your account will be setup
Google account method (alternative if Exchange does not work):
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Select Add Account.
- Select Google.
- Fill out your account information in the following fields:
- Name: Enter your name
- User Name: Enter your full Google Account or Google Apps email address.
- Password: Your Google Account or Google Apps password. (If you’ve enabled 2 Step verification, you’ll need to generate and enter an application specific password.)
- Description: Enter a description of the account (e.g. Personal Contacts).
- Select Next at the top of your screen.
- Make sure that the "Contacts" option is turned ON. The switch should be green.
- Select Save at the top of your screen.
Gmail app alternative:
Alternately access Gmail using the Gmail app for iOS. This app gives you enhanced Gmail functionality on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. It's available for free from Apple's App Store.